One of the best ways to warm up on a cold day (or make yourself feel better when you are sick) is with a comforting bowl of easy Chicken and Dumplings. My recipe is not difficult and will fill your belly while cheering you up. You an use a store-bought rotisserie chicken or take the time to roast your own – I prefer to buy store bought to save time.
Easy Chicken N Dumplings
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 onion – chopped
- 3 large carrots – peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery – chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 whole store-bought rotisserie chicken OR 1 roasted chicken
- 4 cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 can Pillsbury biscuits
- Remove skin from chicken. Shred or pull apart into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to create a paste. Slowly add one can of chicken broth and stir. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook the vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the dutch oven. Slowly add the remaining cans of chicken broth. Add the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium heat while you make the dumplings.
- Open can and remove biscuits. On a lightly floured surface, roll each biscuit to 1/4 inch thick. With a knife, cut each biscuit horizontally and vertically into 1/2 inch pieces (you can make the pieces bigger if you prefer). Set aside the dumplings.
- Turn the heat to low. Slowly stir in a handful of dumplings at a time. Once all of the dumplings are in the pot, cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve steaming hot!