One night while trying to come up with a new dinner recipe, I discovered Lemon Chicken Asparagus. This easy dish requires chicken, asparagus, mushrooms, and lemon.
If I knew my dinner the other night would be such a hit, I would have taken more pictures. I only snapped a quick one on my phone to send to my Mom and sister as proof I actually cooked something. This pregnant Third Grade Teacher with a Toddler does NOT want to cook when she gets home from work.
I didn’t meal plan on Sunday since we were in Connecticut. I spent awhile on Pinterest searching for easy chicken recipes involving asparagus (Brandon’s request) and lemons (my sister’s suggestion). What I came up with was an easy dish containing chicken, asparagus, mushrooms, and lemon.
Lemon Chicken Asparagus takes about 45 minutes in a sauté pan and uses 10 ingredients.
I think the dish would have taken less time if I had thinner chicken breast. My pounding skills are not on par and we all know a thick chicken breast must cook for a certain amount of time.
One kitchen gadget I highly recommend when you’re cooking something in a skillet is a splatter screen. My dish had quite a bit of olive oil spray at one point – which is dangerous when you have a two year old running around at your feet while you cook.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt, pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon.
- 2 tablespoons butter (we use Earth Balance Soy Butter)
- 1-2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 lemon, sliced, plus the juice from the other half
Lemon Chicken Asparagus
- Shallow Dish
- 1 lb. Chicken
- ¼ Cup Flour
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- ½ Tsp Paprika
- ½ Tsp Garlic Salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil 1 Tbsp Extrra
- 2 Tbsp Butter can substitute with dairy free butter
- 1-2 Cups Chopped Asparagus
- 1½ Cups Sliced Mushrooms
- ½ Sliced Lemon plus juice from the other half
- Cover the chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound until each pieces is about a ¾ of an inch thick. Place the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic salt in a shallow dish and gently toss each chicken breast in the dish to coat. The flour coating will make your chicken SO juicy – so don’t skip this step.
- Heat the oil in the sautè pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and sautè for 5-7 minutes on each side, until golden brown, sprinkling each side garlic salt and paprika between flips. Cover the pan with the splatter screen. When the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, transfer to a plate.
- Asparagus and Mushrooms: Add the chopped asparagus and mushrooms to the pan. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables. Sautè for a few minutes until asparagus is bright green and tender crisp. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assembly: Layer all the ingredients in the skillet – asparagus, mushrooms, chicken, and lemon slices on top. Squeeze lemon juice over the chicken and vegetables. Add the butter. Cover with the splatter screen or a pan lid and cook on low-medium heat for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.