Most families love to eat macaroni and cheese for lunch or dinner. A fun twist on a classic recipe is to bake the macaroni and cheese in a mini muffin tin. You can eat these Mini Mac and Cheese Bites as an appetizer or side dish any day of the week.
Source: YumSugar – Recipe adapted: Food & Wine
Mini Mac and Cheese Bites
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 block Velveeta cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain, shaking off the excess water.
- Spray four 12-cup, nonstick mini muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking, until boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cheddar and American cheeses and whisk until melted.
- Off the heat, whisk in the egg yolk, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Fold in the macaroni.
- Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of the macaroni into the prepared muffin cups, packing them gently. Sprinkle Parmigiano on top.
- Bake the mini macs in the upper and middle thirds of the oven for about 10 minutes, until golden and sizzling. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a small spoon, carefully loosen the mini macs, transfer to a platter and serve.