Try this quick and easy Squash Spinach Sausage Soup for dinner on one of the cold nights ahead of us. The recipe takes just one hour from prep to finish!
We eat A LOT of soup in our house throughout fall and winter. My family loves a hearty soup on a cold night, especially with a side of crusty bread. This Squash Spinach Sausage Soup was inspired by a similar soup from last fall, but this one contains sweet Italian sausage. I love how the flavors meld together so quickly – a little sweet and a little salty.
Tips for the Best Squash Spinach Sausage Soup Ever
- Watch the pasta! You never want to overcook pasta in a soup, so it may be easiest to cook it separately and add it last.
- My favorite dutch oven for cooking is this 7.5 Quart Dutch Oven
- Season your soup to taste – we like a lot of salt so I don’t include measurements for that!
- Does your soup taste bland? Add a little sprinkle of garlic powder or dash of red pepper flakes.
Squash Spinach Sausage Soup
A quick and easy hearty broth based soup for the cold months ahead featuring sweet squash, spinach and Italian sausage.
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 large carrots (diced)
- 3 celery stalks (diced)
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage (sliced into small cubes)
- 2 c butternut squash (cubed)
- 2 c baby spinach leaves
- 8 c chicken broth (2 32 oz boxes)
- 1/2 box pasta (can use 1 box but add 2c additional water)
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt + Ground Pepper
- 1 tbsp Fresh Italian Parsley (chopped)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in dutch oven. Add garlic and onions. Cook 2 minutes.
2. Add diced celery and carrots. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add squash.
3. Cover vegetables with 4 cups chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
4. Add sausage, spinach, pasta, and 4 cups of chicken broth. Cook on medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
5. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh chopped Italian parsley. Sprinkle with Romano cheese and serve with crusty bread.